Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Welcome to Country Cluckers

Well this is the plunge...the jumping off point....forward ho!  ok enough already.  Welcome to my blog.  As you can guess it will be all about country living.  I live on a 6 acre parcel with my husband, son, and various critter - mainly chickens.  I hope to expand on our country living so as to entertain you and maybe also teach you a thing or two along the way.  There will be laughs, frustrations, and possibly tears along the way but I hope you stick with me.

Why start a blog?  Why not!  Everyone is doing it these days....  :o)  I can't promise outlandishly photo-shopped pictures, or sprawling prairie acreage, but I can promise you real country living and experiences from a small middle class family trying to make ends meet. 

A little about myself.  My name is Karen and I am a 40 something wife, and mom who works inside and outside the home.  I am currently employed as an engineer outside the home.  I won't get into that too much besides to say I work very strange hours.  Inside the home, I do a side business of custom cakes and cookies, along with being a wife, mom, critter caretaker and on and on.  I really like doing wedding cakes and all kinds of cakes and cookies.  I bake and cook a lot and my picky family is the test subjects.  I have come up with some great recipes that my family loves and requests often.  These are tried and true every day recipes.  Since we have chickens we obviously have lots of eggs.  I try to come up with different ways to use the eggs and keep the stock pile under some level of control.  This is hard to do when you get about 12 eggs a day.

Besides cooking I enjoy all kids of things, crafty and sports.  I crochet, sew, and braid wool rugs, to name a few things.  Outside I enjoy working on our property and getting it fortified to be able to grow things.  I don't really enjoy shoveling snow, but it is a neccessary evil for where I live.  I really enjoy bow shooting and we can shoot 25 yards in the basement of the house and well beyone 80 yards in the yard.  We built a nice bale house and marked shooting range this past year.  Gun shooting is another past time we all do.  We have a rifle range at the house as well and can shoot 100 yards.  Comes in handy when it is time to make sure the hunting rifles are sighted in.

No comments:

Post a Comment